Thursday, February 2, 2012

Dad's Memorial Service

Grant and Alia are going to miss their Grandpa, or "Pampaw" as Grant used to call him.  I feel so blessed to have so many supportive family members and friends during this difficult time.  Grandpa Vince had some difficulty hearing me at the memorial service, so I'm including the transcript here:

When I think of my Dad, I remember him as a teacher, not just because that was the job he did so well for so long, but because it was something he brought into every aspect of his life.  He knew so much about so many things, and he loved to share this with others. He taught me how to read a compass, the difference between a spruce and a fir, and the names of the constellations.  When I was little, he tried to teach me that dirty clothes belong in a laundry basket and drawers go both ways, but the importance of those lessons didn't really sink in until I had kids of my own.

The last lesson my Dad taught me was how to fill my tires with air.  It was just a few weeks ago, and he pulled out his air pressure gauge and explained how to measure the air in the tires.  It was after church, and my kids were impatient and fighting for my attention, and I think my Dad was frustrated I wasn't fully listening.  But even though I may not know today how to check air pressure properly, I was learning.  By taking the time to show me the stars and teach me about tires, he was really teaching me the most important lesson any parent teaches their child - that I was loved.


Thank you, Dad.  I'll miss you.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Very sad news, Jessi. Your dad is someone I greatly admired as he was the father I had the best opportunity to observe up close and I am sad to hear Alia and Grant had so few precious years to learn from him. Will be praying for you, dear friend.

Unknown said...

Real nice, Jess. And your photos brought tears. I am glad that someone was taking pics. Love you and take care.

Uncle Jeremy

Anonymous said...

Thinking about you, Ben, my Sister and the kids every day. A loving tribute to a great father to you and a wonderful brother in law to me. Love you.