Saturday, September 22, 2012

Alia Ballerina Part Trois

Alia loves, loves, LOVES her new dance class.  Last year when I took her to dance, I had to drag her out the door after forcing her into her leotard, and this year she is actually asking me when she gets to go back!  DanceWorks, where we were at last year, was a nice studio but it was just not appropriate for Alia.  She needs fun, and Avery Dance and Yoga gives it to her.  They started off the class with a story that incorporated dance moves, something along the lines of, "Your feet are little alligators stuck together.  They want to get apart.  Help drag them apart like this..."  And then the ballerinas would move their feet like the teacher.  Then they went through all the moves they learned to music without the story.  Next was movement games, then hip hop and last was tap.  I think Alia loved it because not only was the atmosphere more geared towards fun, but they also broke things up into different segments which prevented her from getting bored.  The teacher definitely incorporated  real ballet moves and terms, but she did it in a less formal way.  Which to me seems much more age appropriate.  I mean, if Alia turns into a Prima Ballerina that would be great, but all I really want is for her to learn that dancing and exercising is fun.

No comments: